Skip to main content
Deconstructing an Advertisement - Generally
To "deconstruct" or "interrogate" an advertisement critically, there are typically four (or five) acitivities or concepts that one must critically undertake or evaluate.
- Observe. Focus on the image or video with intention to observe as much as you can critically (foreground, background, colors, symbols, etc.).
- Purpose. Determine the purpose of the image or video.
- Assumptions. What assumptions of knowledge or perspective is the maker of the image or video assuming about the viewer?
- Message. What message is the maker is trying to convey?
- Consequences. What are possible or the intended consequences of the image or video?
Deconstructing an Advertisement - Specifically
McNairy Library • Millersville University • 9 North George St., Millersville, PA 17551 • (717) 871-7111 • Comments? Let us know!
© Copyright 2016. All Rights Reserved. Millersville University is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Institution. A Member of Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education.